If you're wondering what I've been eating lately, the following list is what my daily meals typically look like. As I become fat-adapted, I've increasingly been doing one meal a day (aka, OMAD) so I eat breakfast when the rest of my family has supper. Minimizing carbohydrate consumption allows my body to have a very steady blood sugar, which allows me to have a better gauge as to when I'm actually ready to eat. I don't count calories and eat as much as I want but only when I'm hungry.
My progression to OMAD:
- Dietitian's advice: Reduce cold cereal consumption to 1 cup portion, including 1/4 cup of seeds (I chose sunflower and pumpkin).
- Substitute 2 eggs for cold cereal.
- Defer breakfast progressively later in morning as per continuous glucose monitor (CGM, Freestyle Libre).
- Eliminate lunch by having breakfast at noon. Switch to 3-egg breakfast.
- Defer breakfast progressively later in the afternoon as per CGM.
- Have breakfast with the rest of the family's supper, eat until no longer hungry. Compress eating window to a few hours (say 3pm to 6pm).
I found that mindless evening snacking (like while watching TV) is a great way to ingest unnecessary calories. Having a high fat (ie, healthy saturated fats) afternoon meal with sufficient protein is enough to prevent any craving for an evening snack. I like cheese but try to eat it in moderation due to its high calorie content. The ketogenic diet's need for increased salt consumption often presents as hunger so a glass of salty water between meals can be satiating. I find that moderate exercise (walking, biking, etc) with intermittent high intensity (ie interval training) is easily doable and evening walks (30-60 minutes) are a great post-supper/breakfast activity. A morning walk would also be helpful to deal with the Dawn Phenomenon, which tends to be exacerbated by the adaptive glucose sparing effect of fat adaptation. People also tend to sleep better on an empty stomach so avoid eating for several hours before bed-time.
(mid to late afternoon)
|Snack - varies
(evening - if hungry)